Hell's Giftshop

Is the world going to hell in a handbasket? I don't think we're quite there yet. I would say we're close. We're more like...in Hell's Giftshop.

Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 43-yr. old music lover, off-road enthusiast, camper, gotta-be-outside mountain chick.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Banalities...

Some days seem to move at a slower pace than others. Today was one of those days where you just seem to float through the day at a leisurely pace and then suddenly the day is gone. I woke up and it was 24 degrees and an inch of snow was on the ground. I let Rio out to do his business, he saw the snow and squatted right there on the deck and made the snow yellow. Lazy damn dog.

I started reading my book mid morning and before I knew it lunch time had rolled around. Time for leftover turkey! After eating I went out to the deck to test the temperature and Rio made another patch of yellow snow before I could stop him. What's the big deal about walking down 6 steps to get to the grass?

So while I'm standing on the deck a coyote slinks across the field next to me and makes his way up the hillside. I watch as he scrapes and digs at the ground, presumably trying to scrounge up lunch and several times he curls up and lays down, but quickly jumps back up to shake his rough coat. He walked like he was being chastised for doing something wrong, all skulking and tail-between-his-legs. Finally he disappeared across the summit of the hill. I hear the coyotes several times a week in the middle of the night.

On our walk today when we reached the park in Old Colorado City, there was a big tent set up and lots of booths so Rio and I went to check it out. They were selling kettle corn and funnel cakes and The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory was selling gourmet hot chocolate for $1.50. Too bad I didn't have any cash on me. Inside the tent a Santa Claus in full costume was playing the electric guitar and singing Christmas carols. Okay....

After our walk I returned to my book and received a call from my 24-year old neighbor, Emily, who invited me to go with her and her friends to see Twilight tomorrow night. She's the one who got me hooked on this vampire series of books and I've been eagerly awaiting the movie. They are dressing all in black, painting their nails red and wearing pale makeup and red lipstick. Needless to say I will be wearing jeans and will be lucky if I can even find a black shirt in my closet. I hope I do not feel like the old lady in the group, since everyone but me will be in their early to mid 20s. Sigh.

We are expecting a lot more snow tonight and I have enjoyed a quiet day of turkey leftovers, a blankie, my dog and a good book. Life is good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very comforting blog, Marion. It's the simple things that keep us going in life, isn't it.

5:52 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

Yes, most days are this simple, eh? Nothing exciting about most days but I am trying to count my blessings even through the sheer boredom of some days. LOL

7:50 AM  
Blogger Kanga Jen said...

So how did you like the movie? I hadn't even HEARD of Twilight before about a week ago and then I found out I must be the only person on the planet who didn't know about it.

The yellowed snow would have ticked me off too. There's a difference in looking out at your backyard and the pure fresh snow and looking out at the pure fresh snow with a patch of yellow on it. ;-/

Are you coming to see me in January?

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home