Hell's Giftshop

Is the world going to hell in a handbasket? I don't think we're quite there yet. I would say we're close. We're more like...in Hell's Giftshop.

Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 43-yr. old music lover, off-road enthusiast, camper, gotta-be-outside mountain chick.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Yes We Can!

I did something today that I have never done before. I attended a political rally.

I rode up to Denver with my precinct captain. I marvel at the very fact that I know I even HAVE a precinct captain, much less even know who she is. I have never been political in my life. But my attendance today at the Barack Obama rally cemented my newfound interest and involvement in the political process.

Today I felt hopeful. Today I was surrounded by thousands of people who felt hopeful. And that felt good. No fear. Only hope. There were smiles, nods, claps, whoops. Senator Barack Obama is a rock star; that's no secret. The man commands the room. When he speaks, he inspires. When he tells me something, I believe. It was exciting. It felt like John Lennon was in the house. He just has that "holy crap, this guy is special" vibe around him. People were passionate about him. The arena held 8,000 people. They were expecting between 5,000 to 7,000 people to attend today. There were over 19,000 of us there. I couldn't even get in the same building he was in. I had to listen to his speech while sitting in the bleachers of a Lacrosse field in below freezing temperatures after waiting in line for an hour and a half. Caroline Kennedy was also there.

The cool thing was Obama came to the Lacrosse field and spoke to us before going into the arena, and he opened his speech inside by saying, "I'd like to give a shout-out to everyone outside that didn't make it in." We went nuts when he said that.


There were hundreds of us on that field listening to his speech over the loud speakers. It was nice being surrounded with like-minded people. I met some very cool folks today. We bashed Hiliary and mocked the State of the Union address. We carried well-worn copies of "The Audacity of Hope." We used cell phones and digital cameras to document the event. It was definitely a day I will never forget.

Barack Obama is the real deal, folks. Can we make a difference? Yes we can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Hurray for you! Wish we could attend a rally. I'd love to be around like-minded people. Texas Democrats are incognito.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home