Hell's Giftshop

Is the world going to hell in a handbasket? I don't think we're quite there yet. I would say we're close. We're more like...in Hell's Giftshop.

Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 43-yr. old music lover, off-road enthusiast, camper, gotta-be-outside mountain chick.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Blog-in

Lately it seems that the topic of every conversation I have with friends turns to those things over which we feel we have no control. Global Warming. Gas Prices. The Bush Administration. Janelle's imminent eviction from the Big Brother house. It's easy to feel overwhelmed. And the older I get, the more it bothers me. These issues have always been present; it was just that our parents worried about them, not us. Now WE are the parents, we are the adults that can affect change in this country. Or can we?

We are living in a time where, if you have objections to the current state of affairs, you are silenced. Ask the Dixie Chicks. Yesterday the government even admitted that yes, we were indeed spying on John Lennon back in the 1960s.

JOHN LENNON: Yeah, I'd like to order a pizza (click) to be delivered to the Dakota Building. (click) Did you hang up? You still there?

DOMINOS: Yeah brother, we're here.

JOHN LENNON: Well, bollucks. What's that clicking noise? (thoughtful pause)

THE GOVERNMENT'S REASONS: But he objects to the war in Vietnam! He staged a Bed In! He has influence over American Youth! He has long hair! He sings of Love and Peace. He is not to be trusted!

So what's different today? Not much. If you don't like what's going on in the world, are we supposed to keep it to ouselves? What will they do? Put a tap on my phone? Not pick up my garbage? Take away my iPod? Don't mess with Texas.

So, those of us who grew up and didn't ask a lot of questions are suddenly asking alot of questions. What are we to do? Can we affect change? I would like to believe so. We can vote. We can make our own decisions and talk to people about why we believe the way we do. We can remember John Lennon and think what a difference he made. I suspect John also wondered at the time, "Is anyone hearing me at all?" What I respect about John was that he kept talking, kept singing, kept pushing for peace, for change...even though he wondered if it would make a difference.

And now, nearly 40 years later, people still remember John Lennon and what he stood for. He affected me. The least I can do is pay tribute to that by making my voice heard.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kanga Jen said...

Woo hoo!!!!! Yipee!!! (happy dance, happy dance, clickity clickity click).
:-)

You've made me happy, blog-girl!

(feel kind of bad being so happy when your excellent first post is about what we do with our feelings of hopelessness, LOL.)

Can I link to your blog?

Jen

5:23 PM  
Blogger Kanga Jen said...

'kay. You wanna hear something really *really* strange? I woke up in the middle of the night with the thought, "I meant to write 'helplessness' but I wrote 'hopelessness' in Mare's blog. Then I cleared the cobwebs from my head and thought "what kind of a weirdo nutcase am I? What a weird thing to pop into my head out of nowhere in the middle of the night!"

So this morning, out of curiosity, I logged back onto your blog and I am, well, stunned and more than a little freaked out.

Our brains are WEIRD, man. The little things they unconciouslessly notice and store away during the day to be processed when we sleep? weird weird weird.

So.

I meant to say "helplessness" in my first post. Apparently, it is important to my brain to make that distinction to you.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home